Friday, January 3, 2014

Crazy Colour Photoshoot

Continuing along with some of the postcards so colourful as to be blinding...

I love this set for combining the look of having been coloured with highlighters with the look of detailed stenciling on the woman's dress, and I love the way the lack of tinting on the woman's face, legs, and hands and the entirety of the man gives them a surreal sense of unreality, like they are bright pink ghosts. I love the really long stems on the flowers that stick out oddly in almost every picture. I love how they are all sent from the same man to his fiancee on the 20th, 21st, and 24th of July (1929), and I love how he always notes the time he wrote (this is not uncommon in the period, but I always love it). I love how all the messages cut off mid-sentence-- he must have continued on in a longer letter or on other cards. I just love this set. 



personal collection

personal collection





personal collection

personal collection






personal collection

On this one, I also love how the tinting of the dress extends past the actual hemline of her dress!



personal collection

2 comments:

  1. I have just discovered your blog from a link on "Two Nerdy History Girls" and I have to tell you I am just fasciated! I collect postcards such as these, as well as vintage linen postcards. Thank you for all the information you are providing regarding the processes used to color these beautiful images! I scan my postcards, modify them in Photoshop, and create digital collages with them, as well as make digital collage sheets to sell.

    I am adding the links to both of your blogs to my blog roll and I invite you to visit me at The Gossamer Tearoom!

    Wishing you a wonderful Sunday,

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, thank you for your comment! Awesome to hear from a fellow collector of these cards-- I'm amazed at how few collectors there seem to be, honestly! I'm glad you found it informative, since I found almost no literature on these kinds of cards I'm making it my mission to research them and eventually create some literature. Your collages look great-- a lot of them seem to fit right in to to the surreal photomontage look that was popular in the early 20th C! Thank you for linking to me, I appreciate it!

      Best,

      Anna

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...