Friday, April 4, 2014

Coastal Romance

Around 1931, the makers of these postcards decided that really nowhere was more romantic than a rocky coast:

personal collection

(great shoes, eh?)

personal collection





personal collection

(love his shoes too)

personal collection




personal collection

This postcard and the next one are both from the same fellow, Paul, to his girl Simone-- I have a few more from the two of them as well.

personal collection




personal collection

personal collection




personal collection

personal collection




personal collection

My mom's reaction to this one was "wow-- you would never, ever see an American man in a pose like that." Hahaha. 

personal collection


There's also this whole photoshoot, and a couple more from this post. I wouldn't say it's not a romantic setting... but it also isn't the first place I'd think of! I guess I'd never succeed as a French 1920s postcard maker....

By the way, if anyone recognizes these coasts (or types of coast) do drop a line! The publishing houses were all based in Paris so I suspect the north French coast somewhere... my experimental Googling shows that the coast of Brittany looks a lot like this, but firsthand experience would be exceptionally welcome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...