Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Double-Toned Postcard

Well I am back! I apologize very much for the disappearance of this blog, especially so early on. I realized I'd committed myself to more than I could manage, and unfortunately, this slipped. But I absolutely adore these postcards and I want to share them, and I'm going to dive back in! However, I'm going to go forward a bit differently, with less-detailed posts but maybe more postcards in each. Let's give it a try, anyway! 

First, though, I'll finish the survey of visual types. I'm actually not entirely sure how to classify these-- I'm not sure exactly how they're created, although it might be something to due with this double-toning process detailed by Kodak for film treatment. Somehow, though, they get this amazing blue-and-purple look--I've not yet seen it done with other colours, but maybe it's out there. 

Both these postcards are from the early 1930s (32 and 33), as are the others of this type I have (stay tuned!). It's too small a sample size to know for sure but it's possible it was a later innovation.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...